Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Only Child Traits

     The stereotype of a single child tend to be categorized as spoil, lonely, selfish, etc. Yet, a single child is quite the opposite according to a birth order research, some traits will often involve getting along with peers regardless of age, like to be a rescuer, or even going beyond the boundaries. Traits like these are very accurate towards me. Since I'm an only child it is definite that the birth order research is indeed accurate. 
     A trait that I can relate to as an only child is I like to be a rescuer. All pets that I had and have were rescued by me from abusive owners, starvation, or even to the point of death. Not only am I an animal rescuer but also a rescuer with people. They may have problems, may need some advice,  or just a friend to hang out. I'll lend them a hand and try my best to help them from their problems.  I like to be a rescuer because it comforts me to help someone from harm or danger. People often assume that an only child is very selfish who doesn't care for no one but his/herself. However, that is not always the case. An only child does not have a brother/sister to share that kind of love so therefore they share it by helping others.
     Another trait that I agree with the research is may procrastinate to relieve the burden of perfectionism.  An only child is not spoiled as many would assume. As an only child, we have high expectations to be perfect because we are the only standard and we don't have a brother/sister to do that job for us. Perfection becomes an overwhelming burden, at times it does get very stressful. One way to distance oneself from perfection is to procrastinate often. For example,  I read "Escape from camp 14" the day before school began even though I was informed like 2-3 months earlier.  These are one of the many things I procrastinate on.
     The last accurate trait is going beyond the boundaries of any task or creating new boundaries. When a field is given to me I always want to go beyond those boundaries  I'm the person who loves imagination so going beyond the boundaries is a trait that I created throughout my life. As an only child we are expected to do a lot and to be perfect.  Expectations go so high that we want to do more than perfect. In result,  the majority of the time we go far beyond our expectations and create new boundaries. 
     Perhaps an only child is often misunderstood and the child's helpful actions make up for any stereotypes.  As you can see, a single child has many obstacles to overcome yet the child helps others in selfless ways. With that in mind the birth order research is very well accurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment