Thursday, October 9, 2014

Latin Roots #4

Roots and Derivatives

1. bon, boun
2. capit, capt
3. carn(i)
4. ced(e), ceed, cess

Word List

1. accession- the act of coming into the possession of a right, title, office, etc.; an increase by something added. Sentence: After being grounded for a month my accession was freedom.
2. bona fide- made, done, presented, etc., in good faith; without deception or fraud. Sentence: I made a bona fide offer to my mommy so I may sleep over at my friend's house.
3. bonanza- a source of great and sudden wealth or luck; a spectacular windfall. Sentence: I got a bonanza for cleaning my one month dirty closet when I found a total of $50 in many pockets of my pants.
4. bounteous- giving or disposed to give freely; generous; liberal; freely bestowed; plentiful; abundant. Sentence: The most bounteous affection a mother can give to a child is love and care.
5. capitulation- the document containing the terms of a surrender. Sentence: There have been many wars and battles with capitulations.
6. carnage- the slaughter of a great number of people, as in battle; butchery; massacre. Sentence: After the war ended, the carnage that was left behind by the Holocaust was discovered.
7. carnivorous- flesh-eating. Sentence: Carnivorous animals are meat-eaters.
8. incarnate- embodied in flesh; given a bodily, especially a human, form; flesh-colored or crimson. Sentence: Due to the leader's wicked actions many believed he's the devil incarnate.
9. intercede- to act or interpose in behalf of someone in difficulty or trouble, as by pleading or petition. Sentence: The majority of the time I intercede in my friends' arguments in order fr them to get along again.
10. precedent- any act, decision, or case that serves as a guide or justification for subsequent situations; going or coming before. Sentence: When my brothers and I can't agree about something there will always be some type of ridiculous precedent such as rock, paper, scissor.
11. recapitulation- a brief review or summary, as of a speech. Sentence: The recapitulation of the hour-long lecture was hard to remember
12. reincarnation- the belief that the soul, upon death of the body, comes back to earth in another body or form. Sentence: Many Egyptian pharaohs believed in reincarnation and prepared for life in the next world.






No comments:

Post a Comment